Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My First Taste of Home Grown Asparagus!

In the last few weeks, I planted a pear tree, a crabapple tree, two plum trees, potatoes, and half of the huge amount of onions sets I bought.

I also temporarily planted the wild strawberry plants I bought until I get the permanent beds ready.

Last week, I worked like a dog all day, but I got a lot of stuff planted: Four grapevines, the rest of the sweet onions, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, beets, turnips, two types of pole beans [Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake], and peas.

This week the beets, turnips, and kale we planted last week are up. Some of the sweet onions are up also. My perennial onion bed and my cultivated wild garlic are doing wonderfully. The grape vines we planted a couple of weeks ago are doing good also.

The tiny crabapple and pear trees we planted a couple of weeks ago are doing fine, but the plum trees look dead.  I will give a call to the nursery and ask them to replace them.



I noticed asparagus is rearing it's lovely head, and I ate a spear right out of the garden.......delicious!  I tossed composted manure around the bed.

We will be starting to transplant irises to make way for the cucumber, yellow squash, and zucchini bed next week.  Then we will mulch the area thickly with leaves and hay.

Bugs are nibbling on my cabbage plants so I had to hit them with a little Sevin dust.  I hate using chemicals but it was necessary.

Moles are not yet in my raised beds, but they are wreaking havoc in my lawn!  Today, I had my lawn mowed for the first time this year.  It looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment