1. Diamond studs -- as large as you can afford
2. Precious gem studs -- in your favorite stone whether ruby, sapphire, emerald.......
3. Pearl studs
Then, you need to add a punch of color and impact. After all, earrings are supposed to highlight your face and you can't do that with a dinky look. Go for the bold! So I suggest you look at purchasing:
1. a pair of large diamond earring jackets
2. a pair of diamond long dangle earring jackets
3. a pair of large gold earring jackets
4. a pair of long dangle gold earring jackets
5. a pair of precious gem earring jackets
6. a pair of large precious gem dangle earring jackets
7. a pair of pearl dangle earring jackets
With these 10 pieces you will be able to mix and match your way to a multitude of stylish looks.
Of course you will be looking for nice used pieces picked up for very little [relatively speaking] from pawn shops and from the vintage/antique jewelry area on Ebay.