1. Buy the most luxurious fabrics you can find. Go for silk, cashmere, wool, vicuna, camel's hair. There is always a place in your wardrobe for a lush cashmere shawl for chilly evenings in style!
2. Buy high quality, classic styles. Silk tank tops, silk T shirts, silk tailored slacks, silk tailored skirts, silk evening type skirt, silk jackets/blazers, silk caftans, silk lingerie, cashmere sweaters, cashmere skirts, cashmere slacks, cashmere jackets/blazers, cashmere or camel's hair coats, cashmere berets and scarves, cashmere cape/stole, silk scarves, leather gloves,
3. Most of your wardrobe should be in neutral solid colors. I suggest you start with 2 colors -- I chose black and ivory/cream and buy one item of each color. Then later on you can add your colorful items.
4. Solid colors from top to bottom makes for a slenderizing line.
5. Add a contrasting solid or matching patterned jacket for flair.
6. If you are curveaous, chose styles that skim softly over your figure flaws.
6. Comfort and style CAN go hand in hand. Silk caftans are ultra comfortable, yet elegant.
7. Choose colors that flatter you and use them with dramatic flair in your accessories. They provide a striking contrast with your neutral basics and add spice to your wardrobe. My favorite colors are black, ivory/cream, crimson, turquoise, cobalt blue, and apricot/melon.
8. You CAN mix classic with exotic styles if you are careful.
9. There IS a place for quality Menswear in your wardrobe. I adore Men's cashmere sweaters, jackets, and even coats. Often the fit is roomy yet the tailoring is slimming. Cashmere berets and scarves are the only way to go in the winter. And don't forget menswear silk tuxedo shirts to wear with your lovely gold and gemstone cufflinks!
10. If you chose classic neutral pieces, you can go wild with your jewelry, or scarves, or whatever. I find the silk scarves by Vera Neumann to be my favorites. When I feel flush, there is always Ferragamo scarves.
11. If you are wearing exotic caftan, or something similiar, go classic with your jewelry.
12. Real jewelry is just as inexpensive as good costume jewelry if you know where and how to shop. Pawn shops are a great place to find that strand of real cultured pearls, or that over the top ruby cocktail ring.
13. The same is true for high quality clothing. Thrift shops, Re-sale shops, and garage sales are everywhere and treasures are out there just waiting to be found. In my area is a fantastic store called 1/2 of 1/2 Off Name Brand Clothing. Half of Half offers to customers the best department store and mall store name brands on current merchandise at the best possible prices, usually 1/2 of 1/2 of retail or more! I have bought some trememdous bargains there for just pennies on the dollar.
14. I adore the designing work of Adrianne Papell, and Maggy London. Ferragamo shoes are fabulous. They are dressy, yet comfortable and I adore the low heels they have available.
15. My all time favorite designer is Coco Chanel! What I wouldn't give for an original Chanel suit? And I love and adore her handbags!