Sunday, March 18, 2012

Onion Overload! Can You Have Too Many Onions?



Spring fever has hit my house and once again I think I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Apparently, I thought there was going to be a world crisis shortage of sweet onions this year and figured I'd better stock up ahead of time.  I bought twice as many onion sets as we could use for the vegetable garden this year.  I went ahead and rearranged the garden plan to accommodate the overload but Gosh!

But all is well, and I have got half of my motherlode of onions in the ground, along with all of my potatoes.  My pear tree, crabapple tree, and my two plum trees were planted today. 

The second half of the onion bonanza will go in on the first dry day we get along with, pole beans, and peas.  I need to plant my Nanking Bush Cherry hedge [25 bushes] along the driveway too!  Rain is expected for the next 3 days. 

As soon as they come into town, I'll buy my broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage plants.  So far no store has got them in yet.  That day, I will get my collards, mustard, swiss chard, kale, turnips, beets, and lettuces in if at all possible.

Next chance I get, I will buy and plant 2 grapevines, set out my wild strawberry plants [temporarily planted in planters until I get a chance to plant them outside], and I need to plant more Shasta Daisies [from seed].

Then I will be able to rest until the middle of May or so when I put in the warm weather crops: okra, tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, corn, zucchini, cucumbers, and etc.  Man, the seed companies are once again making a killing off of me.



I have three new garden companions.  They are three children from 10 to 14 years old, two girls and a boy.  These children are truly fascinated by digging in the earth, and making things grow.  It is a pleasure to spend time with them and teach them how to get closer to God through gardening.  Their eager questions and their enthusiasm rejuvenates me.  I will have the children throughout the gardening season, and they can easily walk over since they only live about 3 blocks away.
I felt so happy and satisfied today, when I glanced up from my work and discovered that the little peach tree I planted two years ago has a few white blossoms on it.  It made all of my efforts seem worthwhile to see that tiny hint that one day an abundant harvest will come.  The tiny sprig looked like HOPE.




No comments:

Post a Comment