Friday, September 28, 2012

Dinner in the Garden II

 
 
I remember walking through the antique stores of Manhattan, Kansas during the 1970s.  That is where I fell in love with pink depression glass -- Dogwood in particular.  I was entranced and became obsessed with owning as much of the elegant ware as possible.
 
Dogwood is also known as Apple Blossom and Wild Rose, and was manufactored by the Macbeth Evans Glass Company from 1929 to 1932.  It is one of the most popular patterns produced.  Made in pink, green, crystal [clear], monax [white], cremax [beige], and yellow; it is most abundant in pink. 
 
My mother had a few serving pieces of pink depression glass in the Hocking Lace Edge pattern.  I inherited them as well. 
 
 


 


During this education in the world of glass, I found the wonders of the simple undecorated blank stemware produced by Bartlett Collins Co.  This glassware was called "blanks" because they were produced to sell to other glass factories to be etched with their own custom patterns before re-sale to the public.  But I like the plain pillar optic design of the pieces without embellishment.  The pink crystal is lovely, and goes with any of the pink glass patterns perfectly. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment